What are the issues?
The internet – on the whole is an inspiring and positive place.
The internet is an amazing resource which enables children and young people to connect, communicate and be creative in a number of different ways, on a range of devices.
However, the internet is always changing, and being able to keep up to date with your children’s use of technology can be a challenge.
You may sometimes feel that your children have better technical skills than you do, however children and young people still need advice and protection when it comes to managing their lives online.
Issues that your child may encounter on the internet will vary depending on their age and online activities.
Advice on social media & staying safe
- GOV.UK – Coronavirus: keeping children safe online
- 10 Tips to Keep Your Children Safe Online
- What Parents Need to Know About Friends & Followers
- Social Media & Mental Health – the positive and negative impacts – Online Safety Guide
- What Parents Need to Know About Video Streaming Apps
- What Parents Need to Know About Instagram
- What Parents Need to Know About Facebook
- What Parents Need to Know About TikTok
- Snapchat Online Safety Guide
- YouTube Online Safety Guide for Parents
- Supporting Children And Young People With SEND Online
Smartphones and other devices
Children are using devices at a younger age so it’s important to consider setting controls on their tech, or on any devices that you are letting them borrow from you. We’ve pulled together a number of guides to give you simple steps to set controls on a range of devices.