At Pennyman Primary Academy, Design and Technology helps all pupils to become curious, creative problem solvers and potential innovators. It provides pupils with a greater awareness and understanding of how everyday products are designed and made. We aim to equip children with technical knowledge to develop life skills for the world beyond school. To make and create products through independent and creative thinking, individually and as part of a team. Pupils will also be able to evaluate effectively utilising acquired vocabulary.
- Design Technology is taught based on the National Curriculum for Years 1 to 6 and the EYFS Curriculum Framework
- The curriculum is sequenced under the three areas of: cooking and nutrition; technical knowledge and designing, make, evaluate
- A carefully planned whole school curriculum promotes the progression of design technology knowledge and offers the opportunity to revisit and remember previous learning in order to develop as designers and makers
- Knowledge organisers outline the key new knowledge for each unit and the prior knowledge needed for pupils to make meaningful connections to new learning
- DT is supported and enriched by the many STEM opportunities at both academy and trust levels
Progression within the areas of cooking and nutrition, technical knowledge and design, make, evaluate are set out within the DT Knowledge Sequencing Document available in the academy.