To let us know that your child will be absent please call the academy office on 01642 314750
It is necessary for the academy to keep accurate records of all attendance, absence and poor time-keeping.
We would ask parents and carers to read the following guidelines.
It is your responsibility to inform the academy immediately if your child is ill or absent for any reason.
- If a child is not present when the register is taken then a late/absent mark will be recorded and the academy will then take immediate steps to ensure the well-being of the child.
- The Family Liaison Officer (Mrs Kelly) requires regular reports of the attendance of all children and may take steps to ensure that regular attendance and punctuality is maintained.
- The academy must be advised beforehand of all medical appointments and written confirmation of appointments should be presented so that accurate registration can be maintained.
- Continual absence and poor time-keeping will result in regular home visits to investigate the matter and you will be invited to meet with the Head of Academy. If the issue persists a fixed penalty notice or prosecution will be sought
Requests for absence during term time
Pupils who have medical or dental appointments during the academy day are not permitted to leave unaccompanied; in every case a responsible person known to the academy must collect them. Please inform the office in advance of any appointments, and we will ask you to share a copy of the written confirmation of the appointment and that you confirm the identity of the person collecting the child, if not the parent or carer. Wherever possible please ensure appointments are arranged outside of academy hours.
Any authorised absence during term time will only be considered in exceptional circumstances outside the times stated above. These may include:
- Where a medical condition applies (supported by a doctor’s letter)
- Where parent/ carer’s holidays are prescribed by their employer and are non-negotiable (supported by a signed letter from the employer stating the specific holiday dates given and reason why the holiday period cannot be changed to coincide with school holidays).
The academy will continue to work with the local authority to address issues of poor attendance. The local authority has the power to issue fixed penalty notices or pursue prosecution in the most serious situations.